The wonderful Penny Berry requested this recipe and as I’ve been dutifully reminded that today is pesto chicken Monday, I thought I would share the recipe for you all for the “baguette-me-not” sandwich filler that stemmed from a bit of leftover pesto!
For this recipe, you will need:
- A pestle and mortar
- A small frying pan
- A bowl
- A spoon
- 1 cooked chicken breast, diced
- 1 rasher uncooked, unsmoked bacon, diced
- 1 small piece Grana Padano cheese (1 x 1 x 1/2 inch should be sufficient)
- 1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Place the pine nuts, Grana Padano cheese, dried basil, garlic, pepper and olive oil into a pestle and mortar and grind until smooth. The mixture may be a little dry- don’t worry about that.
- Heat the bacon in a dry frying pan and heat until translucent. Add the pesto for the last two minutes of cooking and heat until all ingredients and cooked through.
- Pour the pesto-bacon mixture into a bowl and add the diced chicken and mayonnaise. Stir well and enjoy!
- This sandwich filler seems to work better if it’s left in a covered bowl in the refrigerator for at least 2-4 hours to “marinate”.
- Don’t use smoked bacon – the added salt and the salt in the mayonnaise and cheese can be too much and lead to a rather unpleasant experience!